Friday, January 6

Art Challenge...post one a day!

Today I've posted an edited photo taken as part of a series when we went to find Derek Jarman's cottage on the shingle in Dungeness.
"The Abandoned Boat"
What an amazing place...a wilderness of stone and sea...yet full of life with such banks of marine wild flowers and a glimpse of a hare running away from his cottage.
I may never get a chance to return...but the memories are strong and quite a bit of poetry resulted from that visit.























"The Abandoned Boat"


Wild flowers on the shingle.


 The emptiness of the landscape.


Rusting metal everywhere hidden in the maran grasses.


Sculptural rusting metals...abandoned.


6 comments:

  1. I remember very many details of the wind-swept beach house on Dungeness - from when I was about 3 years old. A ride on the little railway with my mother, the black and white striped lighthouse and digging our way back into the cottage through a sand dune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it's a place you would never forget...glad you have been too Tom.

      Delete
  2. I have read quite a lot about him in the past Gerry - he really was the most interesting man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had to be if he went to live in the quite small hut...yet so interesting especially the garden... we loved it!

      Delete
  3. I don't know why but whenever I think of a place with over a thousand years of verifiable history I always think of it as concreted over from end to end. Your pictures, Gerry constantly prove me wrong.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Ah Mark...you need to come and see for yourself....of course even the concrete is old!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.