Sunday, January 10

Chalk Paint

It's been a long time coming, but at last, at last,  we have redecorated the dining room.
I say we...you who know me will realise that the royal "We" usually means ..The Potter!.
But I did my bit by keeping up the supply of coffee and tea and making soup for lunch from the stock saved from the holiday meats and bones. Never, ever did a carcass get thrown out at the Ormeau Road home in Belfast while I was growing up. Bones and giblets, onion and carrots, rice or barley and the homely smell of stock simmering on a low gas!...ahhh! .
...Anyway the walls are now a soft grey, the ceiling white and the wooden staircase wall white as well. Things have yet to go back in place, but it's starting to regain a life of its own again .
For a while it had become a dumping ground...the table always full of items crying for attention .......or not!
 I also did my duty and went to IKEA! Obviously, I bought a box of candles....does anyone ever go to IKEA and not buy candles? I bought new cushion covers in glorious shades of grey...very tasteful I'm told ..a sort of zebra rug thingy to put under the table...to warm our feet...the room is not the warmest spot in the house.
 Oh and three little sheepskin rugs to cover the seats of the wooden chairs. That idea I saw in one of the blogs I follow " Lisas Hus "....http://lisashus.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/ett-vackert-julslut.html....brilliant...so now there will be warm feet and warm derrières.
I'd bought some chalk paints about a year ago when I first mentioned the redesign of the room to the potter and there they sat all year, clogging up the kitchen surfaces. But today, was the day to bite the bullet and brighten up the old wooden chairs.
We used to be antique dealers. Hmmm....what have we not been I ask myself!...and to paint a windsor chair was tantamount to betraying one's country....treason!
What rubbish...I plonked it on the studio table and got the job done...love it. Another two to do tomorrow and the job's a goodun...as they say around here.


4 comments:

  1. I bought two of those chairs (Oxford something-backs, I think) recently for £3 each. Bargain, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Gerry, your post could not have arrived at a better time! I have four wood chairs languishing in our garage, two of them Windsors. You have provided the push I needed to transform them ~~ and I already have a creamy ivory supply of chalk paint! Wish me luck and thank you for the visit ~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe after nigh on 30 years in this house it's time to paint a room or chair or something eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. just as long as you keep writing great poetry Mark!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.