Tuesday, November 10






We made our now annual expedition to The Aldeburgh Poetry Festival this weekend just gone. It's held mainly in the village of Snape at The Snape Maltings...very apt for the potter and wife!
Our association with this part of Suffolk goes back to the years of the teenage children. But the festival..only the last three years. The potter has some ceramics in the Gallery there and also in The Buckenham Gallery in Southwold ...so there's a double reason to take the six hour trip from here in the north west to East Anglia. And a further reason as the oldest grandgirl is now at UEA  in her second year and getting more political by the moment!!
But the festival was just great this year. I love the different approaches. The "academic"...the "comedic"...the "ex-punk"...the "rock-star"...the "rap poet"....and the madness of the open-mike late night session!!
Each year I've made the effort to get to as many sessions as I have energy....and these poets are a sample of those I heard speak this time.
Attila The Stockbroker, Gerry Loose, Kei Miller, Helen Mort, Jeremy Reed, Valerie Rouzeau, Pedro Serrano, Susan Wicks, Jane Duran, Peter Sansom and Jeni Smith.
From the workshops to the Q&A sessions the talks and the readings, it's a feast of words and emotions.
  Now I will have to have a go at putting it all into practice....
I plucked up enough courage to have a go at the open mike session in The Plough and Sail at Snape on the Saturday evening.....this was my contribution!




...hands shaking by the time I had finished!!...

10 comments:

  1. Sadly I remember well the day the bomb was detonated outside the McDonald's, I worked at Midland Bank right across the street.
    I'm happy to know your loved ones made it through.
    A beautiful, poignant poem.

    I came by your gorgeous pottery shop in October to say hello, but sadly it was on a day you were closed. I'm sorry I could not make it back, time was short. I wished I'd had left you a note through the letter box, wasn't able to say hello through Blogger, they blocked my account because they thought it was hacked...oh dear.
    Penketh was gloriously familiar as always.
    Especially The Ferry Pub :)
    Cheers,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh how sad Jo...we may have been down the field in the summerhouse...if you manage to come again just walk down the alley into the field...a cup of tea will welcome you!!

      Delete
  2. I like your poem Gerry. And I envy you your trip to The Maltings. We spent our annual holiday in Aldeburgh this year. I am no longer mobile enough to go abroad for holidays, as we have done for years, so we decided (after two years visiting the North Norfolk coast) to stay in The White lion in Aldeburgh. Lovely place, glorious views of the sea and the lobster fishermen from our hotel room window, delicious sea food - and the Maltings on the doorstep. What's not to like - although we did find it a long journey andstopped off in Lincoln for a few days en route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Pat for this kind comment...we had such a great time!

      Delete
  3. Poetry festivals and open mics--at times I miss all of it but until I suss out why i walked away from it all, every bit of it, I still have no inclination to return to the stage as emcee or poet--someone offered me $100 recently for 10 minutes--I couldn't think of a reason to not do it and I couldn't think of a reason to do it, the latter won out.

    I like your poem of tragedy in public and the fortunate escape of them you love. I had to look up the incident itself, not really that far back to stop the trembling over it all, even though the troubles are seemingly calmer now. Nerves or not Gerry, I am glad you got up there and gave the world a piece of your self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like your reasoning Mark!...thankyou for the encouragement over the years..so important for everyone I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment, Gerry, I think I'm going to enjoy your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Yarrow...I hope you find it fun at times!!

      Delete
  6. I was very touched by your strong poem. I understand why your hands were shaking..


    Thank you for visiting me.
    Grethe ´')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this week is completely different...though it has an underlying thought!! thankyou Grethe

      Delete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.