Tuesday, April 14

Piel Island...A Poem for Thursday



 

 I'd been wanting to go to this island for a few years. The last time we made the trip the weather was windy and the Ferryman refused to take us across...who can blame him..the currents alone are treacherous between the mainland...Barrow-in-Furness and the island. This is no ordinary place..it has it's own King and Throne and also  Piel Castle. The Abbott of Furness Abbey owned the rights to all the takings from the sea going craft coming from both Ireland and The Isle-of-Man. It's not touristy and apart from some terraced houses the pub is the only occupied building.
We spent a day just wandering the edge and listening to the skylarks which are everywhere on this little piece of land.



 















Piel Island
 
The skylarks are rising
Drawing me far away
From the nest low in the
Tufts of maran grass that
Grow out of the mussel beach.
I stop to watch their ascent
And listen as the lark
Song joins the soft keening
Of an April wind 'til
Wind takes over and
The bird is lost to my eyes.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds a fascinating place Gerry - I have read about it.
    Doyou still go to Grange one Sunday each month in the Summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Pat...it's a great place and very untouched by touristy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyplace unsullied is a good place to recoup the mind and senses. There just are not that many left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...are we all looking for this Mark?...I think I probably am!

      Delete
  4. Lovely to read about your visit to Warwick Castle Gerry. I lived in the Midlands for twenty years when my previous husband and I both taught in Wolverhampton area.
    We ran an early music group playing harpsichord, crumhorns, recorders and the like. Twice a year we played at Warwick castle for dancers - lovely memories. I was always struck by the fact that the nursery area, which had its own lawn and nursery quarters was next door to the terrible oubliette where prisoners were left to rot. Those were the days of horror weren't they. But isn't it a fascinating place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was facinated by the history of Warwick...all England ended up there from 1068 on wards...amazing!

      Delete
  5. I've yet to visit Piel Island. I've been to Peel Island (Coniston) but not Piel.


    Talk of skylarks always reminds me of this - not everybody's cup of tea, I know, but I think it's magical: https://youtu.be/PVOMNyQrqEY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou forthe youtube....bird song is the best!!!

      Delete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.