Thursday, March 13

A Poem For Thursday




Revelation Day

This morning
In particular.
This morning…
After the afternoon
Even before the evening
And this morning…
My feelings
Are too powerful to ignore.
Stirred up are feelings
Long time hidden
Under plastic washable
Keep it clean-ness.
Today they are revealed.

I remember soldiers
In blue cotton suits
Limping
Up the hill...
Up to the red brick hospital.
To the building that dare not speak it’s name
Too much to think of

Too much to answer to.
I remember soldiers
White-faced
Empty-eyed.
Gazing out of steamed up bus windows
Making their way
Back
To some safety.
Back up the hill.
Making me nervous.
Watching me
The child watching.
The child feeling
Fear that oozed from every glance.
Fear that hit me
As it had hit them…
That tried to envelope me
That caused me to run
To avoid that
Which I would never know.
Strong emotions
In a culture
Hidden 
Under
Beneath
Inside and away.
Away  away.
Revelation can take a life time.
Today is revelation day.

We went to the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester yesterday to see an adaptation of Virginia Woolf's book "Orlando". I find that theatre often releases long gone memories in me...and so it was with this. 
The poem has really nothing at all to do with the story of Orlando but somehow this is what came tumbling out today.

I'm linking in with DeVerse today....I think that the poem fits the bill......thankyou Brian for the prompt!

6 comments:

  1. Surely that is the essence of a good writer Gerry (and Virginia Woolf is certainly that) = that their work evokes all manner of feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The remembrance of soldiers and war can indeed evoke strong feelings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the fear in that moment as a child...is def all too real...and memories that will stick with you as well...watching those soldiers filing back...not understanding what is happening on a large scare but just knowing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This works nicely for the prompt...I like the encompassing title and the oozing of fear and other emotions

    ReplyDelete
  5. i imagine all war zones would be dense and full of fear beyond vision

    ReplyDelete
  6. __Perhaps... there was an unspoken, intrenal war between the two Olandos; the perceived iinjuries sustained by each imagined soldier? _m

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.