Thursday, February 6

A Poem for Thursday....Two Sisters.




 
Two Sisters

They reared me.
Those two sisters
Who stand there
Side by side,
Smiling out at me from the  photo frame.
Cherry blossom falling around them
Like snowflakes
Tinged with cochineal …
Pink… used for the icing
They spread
Thickly…victoriously
 Into the middle of their sponge cakes.

They hauled me up
Those Scottish sisters.
With their german biscuits
Almond slices and
Scones…no raisins... thankyou!
Brought colour into my monochrome world.
Into grey years... brought laughter…
In a grey decade
Where the pavements were always wet with rain.

Those canny women
Wiped my nose.
Told me to stand up tall
And straitened the parting in my unruly hair.
Criticised my big feet...
"Big as shipyards
Big enough to float the Titanic",
They said.
Drew me into their strong arms
And called me
“Wee pet”.
Those sisters.


...this is linked to DeVerse...Meeting the Bar  this week it's Songwriting and the link to Poetry.
 I was published as a songwriter in the late 60s early 70s and find that most of my poetry now has to have some rhythm and rhyme..at the least an underlying rhythm to move it along...so I read the work  quite a few times until a sense of pace comes into it naturally........
...why so long ago??
 well family ...children and The Potters House Penketh took precedence until I started writing again a few years ago.

16 comments:

  1. They're right re the scones: No raisins, Thank you! :)

    I enjoy visiting your Thursday poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many can';t take the feeling in the mouth!!...but it was the dad they had to bake for!!

      Delete
  2. And who are the two sisters? Was one of them your Mum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...mum and aunt!! aunt lived with us for many years...loved them !1

      Delete
  3. Nothing like two strong sisters to bring you up... no arguing possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how true Bjorn..and boy were they strong!!

      Delete
  4. smiles... no raisins for me as well but i do love scones...hmmmm... and sounds like they were refreshingly human and honest and warm-hearted, those two sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there was no falseness in their lives...and they taught me all that I needed for my future...

      Delete
  5. what a sweet tribute. Mum on the left?
    So nice they stayed close all those years.You portrayed their character and sense of fun in a few deft strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cool....to have such a relationship with your sister(s) is refreshing....and uplifting...it does not always go that way in this day and age...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...even then there were other members of the family who were not so close....both quite fierce at times!!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful Gerry - I love your poetry.
    I used to write a lot but since I have been on medication for my blackouts I have lost all the creative urge sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Pat....I found it hard to get back to it after the year with Alan's illness...but I joined The Wire Writers and got lots of encouragement!

      Delete
  8. I think you captured them in these lyrics: loyal, loving, fierce, close, comforting, but sparing on compliments..ay, that would be the Irish and the Scot, I think. Well done. I found a melody to play with your words as I read.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.