Monday, September 23

Walking the Labyrinth.





We made a labyrinth in the back field many years ago...I think I had read a book about them and then the film of The Da Vinci Code came on the scene.

A labyrinth is not a maze...no no ...
A maze is somewhere to get lost in as you try to choose the right path to make it to the centre...

...no...
 a labyrinth has only one path and that you follow until you reach the centre...and then you are centred!

Mazes are very popular around here...the farmers make a bit of extra money by turning their maize fields into mazes!!

Labyrinths are more likely to be found in gardens and on Cathedral floors...and are often used as a place of meditation. 

Well if I'm a bit stirred up about something ...
...I will often trek down the field to it and have a very slow walk into the centre...
...it's amazing how calming that walk can be...

I follow the laid out pattern and stop at each turn...
...and have a little think about whatever it is that is earworming into my thoughts and disturbing me.

Each turn gives you a new perspective ...north, south, east and west...
...and as the seasons change ...so do the views...

 ...the pond...

 ...the woods...

...the birch trees...
...the summerhouse...


...the final view...

...and the path itself......


6 comments:

  1. My friend has had a labyrinth built in her garden. It is built of stone slabs on a bed of gravel and is really beautiful. Your whole garden looks so restful Gerry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very lucky to have your own labyrinth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where I was at school (Ely) there was a Labyrinth just inside the West door of the cathedral. I was always amazed by how few people knew it was there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting idea Gerry. It reminded me of one near the River Trent which has been there for many, maybe hundreds of, years.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.