Thursday, May 16

A Poem for Thursday... Ulysseian Wonderings.



Ulysseian Wonderings.


The fire spits and crackles

Gently.

And the wind

Mouths melodies

Over the tallest stacks.

A conversation of intimacy.

Slow steady breathing from

The sleeping potter.

And I become acquainted

With Stephen Dedalus.

Strutting his stuff

Cocky as a wagtail

On the streets of “Dirty Dublin”.
                                                   (Gerry Snape)



(Image of Grafton Street 1900s....found on Google.)

8 comments:

  1. Oh how hose Jesuits taught the duality of man. This little piece makes Dedalus sound like not a Joyce character but Dickensian. Like it--a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark...you can say that again!! Joyce liked to think of himself as a Dickens for Ireland type....that's for sure. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one line to the next, your images are terrific, with Lines 6 and 9 tying everything so beautifully together. great poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOt sure where my first comment went. anyway, this is a great poem. I am caught in your image-rich lines, each to the next so vivid. The subtle connection between lines 6 and 9 is truly brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane...thankyou so much for your encouragement. I'm sort of deeply into revisiting a lot of my early backround in literature...and these thoughts keep popping up in the verse I'm writing.

      Delete
  5. ah you transport me right there with you imagery...and a rather fun jaunt through it as well...love the sounds in your opening lines...a conversation of intimacy...smiles. like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Gerry. It is nice to be back from holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool...love the images...the crackling fire, the conversation of intimacy..you can def. get quite intimate with a city and its people and history...thanks for taking me there..

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.