Friday, April 5

Wax wings at the Bay.

We took a trip up to the Bay this week. We were just about to leave the house when a twittering caught my attention. Looking up into the lovely lime tree outside the house ...were four pretty little buff coloured birds with slightly forked tails and a bit of colour on the head.
So back  down the motorway and into the summer house, I looked up my bird list by the knowledgeable Simon Barnes and there it was ....Wax Wings.....Excited.
This is the tree last autumn...






.....A giving tree whatever the season.


Obviously lots of goodies in the tree for these little fellows.

(This pic from the Daily Mail)

14 comments:

  1. I have to say I have never seen any waxwings....what a beautiful name for a bird!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn...I don't think I had either ...in fact pretty rubbish at identifying different types outside of the normal garden ones. So these were a real bonus for me.

      Delete
  2. Pretty! Mike and I love watching the birds in our back yard, but we don't get wax wings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how wonderful your back yard birds are Danan...I love seeing the exoticness of them compared to our british birds in the garden.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure if we have them here; I've certainly never seen any. However, I did see a couple of Blackcaps yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I've read that the blackcaps are on their way here ...but whether they make it north I don't know.

      Delete
  4. A magic moment caught and shared. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that the birds give us so much pleasure ....

      Delete
  5. The crows haven't returned to Detroit yet so spring is still a ways off. *sigh* I'd like to wax the wings of this cold spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a cold cold winter for us all I think.

      Delete
  6. The farmer saw a tree full of waxwings on the farm a while ago - sadly I didn't see them - they are lovely aren't they, solucky you Gerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat I've read that they are rapidly becoming one of the most numerous of the birds. Which I find amazing as I've only just identified them!!

      Delete
  7. I love the waxwings, a flock of waxwings is so beautiful. Such pretty colours and the little top on their head. We call them silkehaler (silken tails).

    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grethe ...do you have lots of them in Denmark?

      Delete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.