Thursday, February 7



 My daughter ...the lovely owner of Amelie's House and Nevie pie cakes...studied for her degree at what was then Newcastle Polytech...now The University of Northumbria.
She made some long term friends there and of them all stayed closer in the end to Gretel Parker and her then boyfriend  Andy ... than any of the others.

At the end of degree show, we went to see the exhibitions...and of course loved Natasha's, and also Gretel's. However the work that touched my heart most was that of Andy's. I saw in his art a sensitivity and tenderness, with also a look at the way old discarded stuff can be redeemed. As with Schwitters, he used ephemera to produce something new.
I asked if it would be possible to buy one of his pieces of art and so ....was the proud owner of this .


 Now when I was little I regularly had serious viral flu... to the extent that I would hallucinate thinking that I was a cabbage or onion and the layers were being stripped away...
...yes I know ...my family will say, "But that is just your mad imagination!"...
...whatever...
At the end of these scary sessions mum would bring me down stairs and wrap me up in blankets by the fire...
...and I always asked for the story of ...Jairus's daughter...who made it through the night!!
...this collage is based on that story of a father who kept asking for help.

Very sadly Andy has not managed to make it through, and so I'm putting up this post to honour him and to encourage everyone to... 1. look at Gretel's blog post ...2. back those who struggle at producing honest art often at the lose of income... and 3.consider contributing to this site to help Gretel financially to get through the next months  if not years.

Thankyou all you lovely blogger friends for the support that you have given Alan and myself in particular since November....what a great community! 


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post: a charming image with great depth and so much in the writing as well. This, for instance:
    to the extent that I would hallucinate thinking that I was a cabbage or onion and the layers were being stripped away...
    ...yes I know ...my family will say, "But that is just your mad imagination!"...

    How so completely typical! Nothing changes, does it? Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou for reading this one Dave...a very talented young man gone.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this entry -- a lovely tribute to Andy -- and thank you also for passing on information about helping Gretel. Both Gretel and Andy have truly amazing friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou soozcat...community is so important I think.

      Delete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.