Sunday, January 13

The Journey...



 How often in interviews with "famous" people on talk/talk shows do you hear them say in .."I'm a serious artist"...kind of way...
..."I'm on a journey"! 
(nod of the head...)
Perhaps they are thinking of Robert Frost, taking the "road less travelled"...
...perhaps it as just become a cliche...
...but it got me thinking about my own life what with the amount of time I've spent recently travelling back and forth to hospital for members of the family....
 and then up comes the lovely "dVerse" thought for today and so here goes with my contribution.
thankyou dVerse!

!We are all on a journey!
 
Am I on a journey?
Is what is behind me
Influencing my thoughts,
My actions?
Or do I have the right to…,
The choice to…
Being who I am to…
Go forward in that being?
Can I not help
What the past has made me?
Am I always
I am?
What I was is no more
What I will be
Is the unknown.
It is not my “Iwasness”
Not my “Iwillbeness”
 It is in my “Iamness”
That I choose
 Now.

20 comments:

  1. iamness....ha...cool phrase that...i think we have the power to shape who we are, if we choose to use it and not be a slave to our past or someone else's expectations of us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when I wrote this I thought of Durer and the radicalness of his self portrait.....Ich bin Durer...seems so tame nowadays but was shocking then...thanks Brian

      Delete
  2. some really interesting thoughts here.. i think our past shapes us in a way but then on the other hand, we make our choices as well...and i think it's a mix of both that makes us who we are...and that of course is never static..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. choice is the BIG gift of life I believe.

      Delete
  3. Your style made me think of Dr. Seuss. I enjoyed this poem a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now that is a super thought Gretchen!

      Delete
  4. really interesting poem, I enjyed it a lot. It made me think about fate, about self fulfilling prophecy, about nature vs nurture, about choice (or lack of it)....what exactly is it that pushes us on our paths? i hope it is 'iamness'...i'm in love with concept!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like this philosophy. Now is what is most important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you've 'copyright-ed' those 3 words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm....might do if noone gets in before me!

      Delete
  7. Let them who are racing to whatever go on ahead, I am walking the rest of the way. That's what I am become now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like that!...I'm not runninmg myself so much now!!

      Delete
  8. The road less travelled always troubles me Gerry. I think you can spend too much time thinking of what might have been had you taken another path. I think the best advice is to appreciate the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Pat ...sometimes I find that hard to do and have to shake myself!!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed reading this. Your conclusion took me to sermons I've heard about the name God revealed to Moses - not I was, not I will be, but I am. It is the here and now that matters most, because we can't change what was, adn what will be depends totally on what is now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While on our journey can learn and put into practice the things we've learned from the past roads we've taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I agree Rosie...what a road too!

      Delete
  11. Brilliant expresssion of the truth that, we can only ever inhabit the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou James...you will know that I am in awe of your poem as a villanelle...so again thankyou

      Delete
  12. Absolutely! But do we take time out to look around at the places pass through? Thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.