Thursday, January 3

Jeanie's Design


Growing up in Belfast,  we were regularly told about mum's brother and sister who died before antibiotics came into the general arena of health.
Now I'm reading the news just like everyone else, about the dangers of continual use of these medicines and I've never personally been a great one for dosing my children up with them, when they were young.
However...without them my gorgeous oldest grandgirl would not have recovered from the lung infection which has floored her recently and I would still be struggling with that dreaded...blessed ...awful... "lady thing"....cystitis!
Oh ...too much information I hear you say as you switch off!
O.K. however if there had been antibiotics in the early 30s....Jeanie my aunt, would have survived the dose of pleurisy that eventually did for her...
...and we would have had much more of this wonderful embroidery design work for which she was studying ,
 at Belfast Art College.


11 comments:

  1. I wish you and yours a very peaceful and joyful new year, Gerry. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I originally thought it was a plate design; it would have made beautiful plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right Cro...maybe I should think of putting it on to one of Alan's plates or bowls!!

      Delete
  3. Exquisite embroidery Gerry. I think that today's young have probably no idea about how life was without antibiotics -pneumonia was so often a killer - my mother lost two babies to it before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life might be hard today ...well some think so...but compared to then...we have it very good!!

      Delete
  4. Gerry, what a beautiful embroidery. She was a fine artist, your aunt.
    If antibiotics had not been invented then there were many of my family members who might not be here - and I myself would certainly not have survived. I've had pneumonia more than once. So I'm grateful.

    Happy New Year, Gerry
    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grethe...as I sit here and write in front of me is another piece of her work...very edwardian...a quote embellished with gold and celtic scrolls!!

      Delete
  5. that design is so beautiful - antibiotics are good but not too many - so glad Alan is feeling better - it is fun to get out for a poper trip after illness - makes you feel normal again - I need a painting course - are you doing any soon - all the best for this year and hope to see you soon - need to get writing again - am thinking of doing a poetry school course again with Peter and Ann sansom - they get it flowing with ease!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And what a beautiful design with was working on...

    Antibiotics can be both used and abused. Their use can save lives. Their over-use can create strains of things that are drug-resistant.

    Greetings from Minneapolis,

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to this. When I was 5 the doctors told my parents I might not make 6, but something called M&B came along, and just after it, anti-biotics, just in time to save me. I am now on a permanent low dose, but of course am prescribed another one to take as well if ever I get an infection. So yes, let's hear it for anti-biotics and stop over=prescribing - asp to animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you have brought back memories of Dr. Porter telling my mother that he would prescribe M&B ...had forgotten about those!

      Delete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.