Monday, July 9

The Tennis Cake



How exciting was that match yesterday!
 Now I'm not in any way sporty.
I deeply disappointed my dad who assumed that as I had long legs I was sure to win the annual school races...sorry ...no.
And when it came to hockey...I was always on the wing...shivering.



No it was never because of any deep sporty longings that I started this annual bake up, rather  the purchase of a cook book from M and S and a way of making some thing from not much!



It was the year of the Queen's first big jubilee and Virginia Wade was in the final and lo and behold she won!!
So the tradition was started.
The next year, the names of the two finalists went on to the cake at either end and the loser was eaten first!
As simple as that.
Well the two junior Snapes have left and now have their own homes, families and traditions
But I decided to bake  a tennis cake this year .
We took it up to the northern family yesterday to eat it in front of their bigger t.v.!

Hmmm! ...we ate Murray first!...but boy did he put up a good fight!
Then on my posts...up came a wonderful pic from the southern daughter...the painter of cakes... and a grand tennis cake!
have a little look at http://amelieshouseblogspot.co.ukhttp://amelieshouseblogspot.co.uk


Of such things memories are made.
Love it!!

6 comments:

  1. The link to the tennis cake didn't work but I figure out it was missing a dot! A beautiful original cake it is too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually baked two this year...but forgot to photograph either...but my daughter has carried on the tradition and that was special!

      Delete
  2. A great tradition, and definitely one to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Cro...I like these traditions!

      Delete
  3. Love the book, but where's the picture of your cake? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. really really...I forgot and then your great post came up and I thought let's put up another one about the tennis cake...next year!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.