Saturday, July 21

Some Success!

Well despite my rant yesterday re. the effect of the summer weather on the garden...
...today the potter  a.k.a  the gardener...pulled up all of the onions and laid them out to dry in what we bravely call.."summer"...in these parts.


They look good and only one of the whole batch appears to have the rotting disease that we have had problems with over the past few years.


They've also reached a goodly size which I suppose could be up to the amount of rain...
...however...


...we couldn't say the same for these red ones...a bit pathetic, still we will be grateful and use them up.


Now there is a whole patch of clean empty soil ready for something else...always an exciting prospect!

10 comments:

  1. I've not grown onions for years. As I remember, they make great works of art in the kitchen, plaited together in strings.

    You've almost inspired me to have a go again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must 'fess up and admit that I only cook with them...the planting etc. is all the potter's work...I'll pass on the word!

      Delete
  2. I think you should be very proud of those onions; I have never managed to grow a decent one in my entire gardening life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretel...you know that Alan has been trying to grow things for years and now that we are both getting older...he's getting good at it!!!

      Delete
  3. your onions are gorgeous...yes, i think onions and most veggies are beautiful. after months of drought here, we finally have had some rain, but i am not sure some of my dogwood trees and other plants will survive such extremes...time will tell. good luck with your next crop!
    erin
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin...you really have had it hard this year in so many parts of the states...I hope your trees survive...three of mine have died this year I think with the damp and rain.

      Delete
  4. I only grow Red Onions. I don't think mine will grow much more now, but I shall leave them in the ground until the tops die off. Amazingly we've only recently finished the last of last year's crop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to some onion soup. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We find that red onions never do as well Gerry - I think they like a warmer climate - and probably less rain than we have had this year. Our onions are nothing like ready yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The urban farms of Detroit are doing well as long as the water company does nt locate which abandoned property the irrigation water is being "borrowed" from.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.