Friday, July 6

A Poem for Thursday




The Sea and Life


You have to learn
   to time the waves.

Then jump
   at just the right moments
     to avoid being dragged under.

I found it difficult
   at first.

Then a rhythm emerged
   was it every seventh wave?

In between
   went swimmingly.

It has taken me
   a lifetime
      to time life's waves.

They say
   it comes in threes.

Why is there always
   a number?

Did someone
  work out the world
     in a maths lesson?


I'm hoping that this one will be acceptable to The Mag: Mag124...it definitely to do with water and the hope that I don't drown! Oh and a great prompt in the redon..I've always loved his dreamy work. Thankyou.


13 comments:

  1. well it would not surprise me the mathmatical precision of the world and does make me wonder at where that started....but i do like the rhythm of the ocean...it is much more natural than our own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timing is everything when you do "it" (whatever it is) right but I think the math lesson came about because we forgot the language that explains the worlds working. So we made a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I like it very much Gerry. You are quite right, there is a kind of mathematical precision to the movement of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure someone must have! I like numbers - they add a certain kind of sense to the world.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb poem - and yes, there's always a number. Someone - I forget who - said "God is a mathematician." True!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's got to be true I think...thankyou Dave.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed this read! Especially...

    It has taken me
    a lifetime
    to time life's waves.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do think numbers, fractions and percents have to do with life's bottom line- love your sideways hops in waves! Nice, I always tried to translate the murmurs I heard.My first poem came from the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wave jumping .. a life's lesson finally learned. :) Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wondered about the threes myself, as well. These bits of folk wisdom sometimes mean something, sometimes nothing. That's part of their allure, I think: the fact that it can mean something/nothing. I do like as well the notion that you can time the waves to catch just the right one. That is one of my favorite ways of swimming when I am at the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. catching life's waves is the thing! thankyou chazinator!

      Delete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.