Friday, July 27

I rang the bell!




The artist Martin Creed put together the suggestion that at 08.12 we the people of Britain ring a bell for 3 minutes to celebrate the opening of the Olympic Games 12 hours later...that being 20.12. Well, I rang the back door bell and listened for others ...but no other sounds came back at me. Not even the local church with it's peal of bells that ring out every Sunday morning calling the faithful in.
This is the artist who won the Turner prize with the room that turned the lights on and off. Now actually there's a lot more to Martin Creed than this and I always think that the media response to so many of the people who win the Turner only gives a glimpse of what they are about. I googled him a while ago and was thrilled to see the paper work that he produces...so the lights, the scrap of masking tape on the wall etc. are only a tiny bit of his work and thoughts. I believe that he ahas already had a success with the bells in Italy...perhaps they are more used to bells than us or is it our reticence in not appearing rather loud?!

12 comments:

  1. I suppose if you wanted to get really deep and arty about it, (and having heard what he had to say about it today) you might argue that it didn't matter if you were the only bell in your area to be heard; I rang my little bell in a room on my own, very joyfully, watching the TV coverage of everyone else around the country and enjoying Big Ben. No-one except the cats heard me, I didn't hear anything outside, but I certainly felt included in the spirit of things and thanks to the internet, I am finding out what my friends heard (or didn't!) and did. So there are layers to the *happening*, I think. Or is this too pretentious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretel...never let it be said that either you or I are in any way pretentious....(fingers crossed behind back as I speak) and I'm so glad that you did it too!!

      Delete
  2. Good thing it wasn't in America. We'd ave used gunfire and trust e for 3 minutes there would have been plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear...sounds like the films from my youth..."I come for my boy"!!

      Delete
  3. Shame, I missed his call, otherwise I would have joined you (and all the others).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a mad people we are...love it!

      Delete
  4. I do so agree with what you say about Turner prize winners Geraldine. The press, in typical fashion, concentrate only on sensationalism. For example I think Grayson Perry's work is absolutely amazing - and I admire Tracey Emin's drawing skills - but in neither case did the press concentrate on that aspect.

    Re the bell ringing. I am not sure that it was publicised enough.
    I knew nothing about it until about five minutes before it was due
    when I rang a friend and she asked if I had my bell ready. I live in an isolated place and my only neighbour was working in his workshop. I thought that if I rang a bell he might think I was in need of assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out here they'd'a gone, What the...? & thrown another snag on the barbie. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Ganeida...what a mad country we are....love it!!

      Delete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.