Wednesday, May 30

Woody Guthrie...The Man in the Sand.






Go down to the water where the oil floats by
And drop your head down and cry
And write with your finger in the sand
And mail it out with the tide
Mail it out with the high and the low
And watch the marks on the sand
And listen to the fog on the homeless waves
And feel the salt sea in your hand.

Smell the sea wind - taste on your lips
That foam that rolls over my lost ships
And write your letter once more in the sand
Where the breaker dips and the undertow slips
And when nobody's looking - kiss your hand
And touch to the nose of your man in the sand
And then lay down with your head on his chest
And be nice to your man in the sand.

I'm just a sucker for the sea and poetry... and it's got them together in bundles here..

10 comments:

  1. I wasn't familiar with this song...but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kathy G...there's something so evocative about this one ..and you don't really think of Woody Guthrie when you read it..but he's the man!

      Delete
  2. Thank you - I really needed those soothing words and imagery after a hard day in the studio! Wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julie...glad that they helped..one of my favourites.

      Delete
  3. I', a sucker for the sea and chips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Coincidentally, I posted a poem about the ocean today too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful. I agree about the sea and poetry Gerry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a magic combination I think Pat.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.