Thursday, May 31

A Poem for Thursday



Vincent van Gogh





Graeme Roberts sat in his usual chair
And I sat nearby in mine.
And behind his head it was always there
The van Gogh in the frame of pine.

 He lulled my brain with his smokey words
And the passion in all that he said.
But the thing I remembered was Vincent's art
On the wall - behind his head.

It was only a print of course , I knew
As I sat in the Georgian room.
But I longed to see more of the painter’s skill
Of the joy, in the clouds and the moon.

And I did one day in the Amsterdam
In the gallery given his name.
And the shock of the real as I stood in front
Of the scene in it’s golden frame...

Left me weeping and moved, though I couldn’t say why.
Did it take me back to that room?
To the girl and the man and the frame of pine
And the trees and the clouds and the moon.



This poem is for Poetry Jam...they wanted a poem about an artist...well Vincent is always my darling!..even if I wander away to other poets ..I eventually come back to all that he was and is! so thankyou Poetry Jam for inspiring me to go back to that place and remember my feelings!

17 comments:

  1. This is lovely Gerry! I like Vincent too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this, Gerry. I am glad that you got to see the original Van Gogh's in Amsterdam. That must have been a dream come true for you. I enjoyed your poem. Glad the PJ poem brought it about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geraldine,
    Most evocative of Vincent Van Gogh....I felt in awe also, when standing before his paintings, rather than simply a reprint :)

    Making my way to our old city for a weekend visit!!
    Best Wishes,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tribute to Van Gogh. Wouldn't it be amazing to see his painting in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Loredana.....it truly was a wonderful time.

      Delete
  5. very cool...i imagine seeing it in person to be pretty amazing you know...there have been a couple works of art that did that to me...esp when i visited the galleries in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is such a deep, emotional connection to art ... to music ... to books. You captured that emotion beautifully in your poem. I cried the first time I saw the Mona Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderfully done, Gerry! This reminds me of my first trip to the St. Louis Art Museum when I finally got to see one of the triptychs of Monet's Water Lilies in person for the first time...I wept like a baby standing in front of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful! this painting speaks to me as no other. what an amazing experience for you to have seen it in person!

    thank you for participating at Poetry Jam!


    dani

    ReplyDelete
  9. What this poem does for me is make me want to know about the backstory, about Graeme Roberts, the young girl, their relationship... but maybe all I need to know is there in the poem already. An excellent structure for the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Semaphore for the kind comment...he taught me about poetic structure!! fantastic teacher!!

      Delete
  10. Wow! Absolutely beautiful. You really know how to weave the story in the poetry. I think art moves us in just the way you describe and of course you had a reason to be moved because of your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good to be given such a prompt as the painter and the teacher went together in my life!

      Delete
  11. A great poem, Gerry. And I love the look of your blog, it is so beautiful and lovely to look at.
    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved that poem - thank you for introducing me to it. I just found your blog which looks wonderful and I am looking forward to diving in. I was looking through my own posts from a year ago and found you had commented. I don't remember replying which is quite unusual for me but I imagine I was going through a difficult time adjusting to life and somehow it slipped my mind. anyway, a rather late thank you! and I look forward to reading more here. I don't even know where you are yet so will get reading Kate x

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.