Tuesday, April 17

"Visiting Humphrey" I.

We had a neighbour way back when ...
...and mum was really, very friendly with her.
Her important "other" was called Humphrey.
Why does that still make me want to smile?
No offence meant for those who may read this and either know a Humphrey or be a Humphrey...
...but the name makes me think of some children's story where the animal say's, "I'm just a big old Humphrey"!
 Do you remember Sir Humphrey Appleby in "Yes Prime Minister"?
Or that the cat in No.10 Downing Street was named Humphrey after him?
Oh yes a very smile-inducing name indeed.

Well...there's a lump of glacial rock sticking out of the Bay on the northern shore...
...and what joy to find out that it is...
"Humphrey Head".
You know that I have to go there and be at that place!

So I pack picnic and off we go.
What a treasure.
I'll show the pics...because they speak louder than a book of words!

My adventure starts with this Willy Wagtail bobbing around at the car park end.
That's where the sands are silver and they butt up against the rock.


And this is the rock itself where the Peregrine Falcons fly and nest and are watched over with beady eyes !


The face of Humphrey is sheer and clad with spring green shrubs at the moment.


...and the rocks are coloured and ...I don't know what they are made of but... they are certainly beautiful!


They say that the glaciated mountains of the English Lake District are so old that they have been weathered more than the Alps or the Himalayas.
I heard this from my lovely friend....Anne Hodgkiss...illustrator supreme...sharer of knowledge.
(I love a person who shares information without making you feel stupid...yes?)



Just look at those pinks and blues!


A piece of abstract art I think.






...and some naturalist will hopefully inform me of just how pure the air is and how long these lichens have been here to manage that amount on the rock....

Enough for now ...
...except to show you this sad little inscription...
...with a bit of humour none-the-less...



"Beware how you these rocks ascend,
Here William Pedder met his end"!

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely place! I'm not sure the warning would keep me from wanting to clambor around on the rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Pic No 3 is very Japanese looking, with it's own (oversized) Bonsai tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wondrful stone post - and what a smile-making name, but a good one for this hunk of stone. Wish I could have joined you for your picnic - what beautiful stone, I'm not even tempted to get my chisels out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only Humphrey I ever heard of was Hubert Humphrey, Lyndon Johnson's vice president. My mother shook his hand once and got his autograph. I am pretty sure she didn't wash the hand for a couple of days.

    Gadzook what an interesting assortment of rock. Granite, sandstone, iron. Oh those wily glaciers!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.