Wednesday, March 14

Inspired by Hockney.

I'm putting up some more pics today from Ashridge Woods in Hertfordshire.
 I went there with my daughter on Thursday to have a walk through the trees,  then  lunch  by a warming fire in a local pub.

The exhibition at the Royal Academy, of Hockney's take on the Yorkshire countryside, opens your eyes to the beauty of  "very littleness"...if there is such an expression!

It's in this way that I feel so much of our landscape is viewed......


...in the soft neutral colours and tones of the palettes as used  by our wonderful British watercolourists...
... such as Constable and Ruskin.
I love going to the Abbott Hall Galleries in Kendal just to gaze in awe at the watercolour room tucked away at the back of the building.

But if I'm honest to my own colour leanings.....I crave colour and expressionistic saturation!
I'm a lover of van Gogh and Matisse and also the northern group of expressionists,  the Blaue Reiter...with Nolde and Kandinsky etc.
In many ways I think this is what Hockney has brought into the art of English landscape, from his living and painting in California .
So the photo above had some colour washed out on the saturation app. on Picnic...and the one underneath, had the colours saturated in the opposite direction.


(The photographer in the pic. by the way... is she of Neviepie Cakes fame!)






I'm sure people have their own opinions about whether or not an artist should take colour "liberties" when painting the landscape.
Maybe you might like to post a comment on your preference.

I'm just posting up some of the other creatures who really don't mind either way!!


 

Just as long as he can rediscover the secret hiding places of the autumn nuts hidden for a hungry day!

3 comments:

  1. For me personally Gerry I like the colors the way my one good eye percieves them. I know that with the natural atmosphere there will be washed out days and there will be bright and color filled days.

    But my art I like the darker colors used by a lot of 19th century American painters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe blue squirrels will take over from the grey! It's really hard to imagine colour when the winter has been so grey and desaturated but Hockney reminded us - bless his cotton socks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My niece went to see the Hockney exhibition at the RA last week and sent me an e mail to say that she was absolutely blown away by it. I do love what little I have seen I must say.
    Like you I am really a colour fiend and found the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam absolutely mind blowing last year - I just could not believe the colour. Similarly many years ago I saw some original Degas pictures - mainly dancers - in the pushkin in Moscow and they had a similar effect.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.