Thursday, February 9

A Poem for Thursday.

Rudderless.

I laid my head upon the pillow
Closed my eyes and this I saw.
The greatest wave rose from the ocean
And made it's way towards the shore.


And as I looked a boat appeared
With people in, and then I saw
No sail was there to help their going,
No rudder either, death for sure.

What foolishness was this I wondered?
Why even Hokasai's great  wave
Had given to the boatmen oars
To guide them home to keep them safe.

"We had a dream", the lost ones murmured
"That all would shortly come to pass...
Within those dreams so sweet, so honest.
So what has happened now, we ask?"

Then one by one they tumbled over.
Their arms they held above the sea,
And waved them bravely as they pleaded,
"We drown, please save us presently!"

Ah ....the best laid plans of mice and men.........

I'm linking in to Dverse ~ poets pub this week. They have put up a post linking philosophy and poetry!
Lovely stuff! this poem above has two references....one of course is Hokasai's Great Wave and the other a thought from Stevie Smith...Not Waving But Drowning... thankyou for this opportunity!!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting poem Gerry and it made me think because I used to have a recurring dream in which I was out and could not get back home again however hard I tried I was always going the wrong way. I wrote a poem about it and put it on my blog and - strangely - I have never had the dream since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankyou Pat for the thoughts...I just had to write this one and got out of bed the thoughts were so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing write, Gerry. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem, if I wrote down my dreams I may be taken away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. at times we seem to go quite unprepared into the storms of life...but there are storms out there when even oars and sails wouldn't be of big help any more.. thanks for joining us at dVerse...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture is so evocative for me. I once only saw the wave! seriously, I never looked close enough to see the men in the boats going out to their deaths. It was a bit of a minor epiphany when I realized what was happening. The Buddhist concept of no mind and emptiness in action! What struck me then was the trust that the sailors seemed to have, as well as the awe-ful praise and wonder of nature's immensity. My friend's greatest fear of dying is by drowning. Her description of it was so real I understood what a terrible death this must be. No wonder they use it as a means of torture. I think we must consider the possibilty here that these men also had meditated on that horror, yet they still rowed out to meet their deaths by drowning, giving their trust into the hands of an unknowable power. What occurs to me too is that though it seems as though all hope of survival should have been lost, the chance for it is not impossible. Yet, again, they trust come death or miraculous survival. In this, I am reminded of Kierkegaard's thoughts on trusting in God, even were one stranded in 20,000 feet of water. For him, that was an ultimate act of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a rudderless ship is surely doomed you know....but in the end when my wave hits i hope i have the strength to let it take me....

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.