Wednesday, October 5

Hunter and Hunted


Once again we cycled down to the river.
The weather is on the turn now, but the Ferry area was just as calming.
The gulls were congregated on the bank opposite waiting for the incoming tide.


Why had they risen as one with such noise?


Then we spotted a lone bird hovering over the reeds.


More joined it, until there were four or five of them circling and hovering, still and menacing.



Suddenly up from the reeds came a caccophany of noise as a flock of crows rose high in the sky.



I managed to snap them as they rose.
Only later when I viewed on the Lumix site did I notice in amongst the crows a very different shape......
.......buzzards I'm told!
Nature is so many different things. We love the sense of peace that it can bring us...
.... but abhor the "red in tooth and claw". Yet one cannot be without the other.

Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote as part of the poem In Memorium A.H.H.   these lines......

Are God and Nature then at strife,
That Nature lends such evil dreams?
So careful of the type she seems,
So careless of the single life;

That I, considering everywhere
Her secret meaning in her deeds,
And finding that of fifty seeds
She often brings but one to bear,

I falter where I firmly trod,
And falling with my weight of cares
Upon the great world's altar-stairs
That slope thro' darkness up to God,

I stretch lame hands of faith, and grope,
And gather dust and chaff, and call
To what I feel is Lord of all,
And faintly trust the larger hope.

8 comments:

  1. At the risk of being a nature pedant, your buzzards were innocently (and peacefully) enjoying surfing the thermals, they are scavengers, not hunters - unless you're an insect or worm! Corvids will often mob buzzards, they hate them being in their territory - and despite being smaller, I've seen just a couple of them see off a much larger buzzard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always a "larger hope" nut for the earth and sky bound, one can not blame a raptor or carrion eater for being such. It is their nature and survival to them is as important as it is to their prey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. walking man...I couldn't agree more.I think so many are looking for some sort of paradise in nature. thankyou for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to have a reminder of the dark side, I think. Personally I am always awestruck by raptors. There are even raptor viewpoints on the Isle of Sheppey to view the Marsh Harriers. And buzzards are now becoming quite commonplace down here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buzzards and Crows are permanently waging war above our cottage. Sometimes I wish they'd just agree to disagree, and leave each other in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen...I want to mention to the landlord that it would be a real bonus for us all if they had a "hide" on the bank near the Ferry Inn...we could also have a beer!

    Cro ....I am absolutely hooked on watching all that goes on with the various birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm all I'm hearing is beer! Or Vodka and coke!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Natasha...then you must join us one fine day on our Mersey Revels and share in the goodies available there!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.