Friday, August 5

Under my Nose!

Sometimes the best things are right there under our noses.



This is the view of the river Mersey when drinking "ones" rose' wine at the Ferry Tavern  not far from the Potters House.
Well actuallly the potter has a Guinness!



It's a favourite spot for walkers and bikers and dogs.
Lots of history has gone into the making of the Ferry...obviously once upon a time there was a ferryman.... .....but I've heard that the owner of the distant shore will not allow any landings.

Shame I say!



When the river floods the tavern gets wet! Sometimes the water reaches quite high up the walls.

I have heard that this was the spot where the Romans crossed over after leaving Chester to travel north.
Some early pottery is exhibited in the local museum.


At the back of the inn, parallel to the river, is one of the earliest canals built for the industrial revolution in England.
When we first arrived in the area we often biked down to the Sankey canal with the kids on the back of the bikes.
But in those days it was dirty and smelly.Clogged up with rubbish and discarded metal whatevers.
Now shoals of fish swim in the clear water, while swans and ducks inhabit the reeds along the edges.


 Boats are moored ......




.....and a boatyard rings with the sound of energetic boaty people!

We will be back more regularly...sure......and not only for the Guinness!


6 comments:

  1. You do live in an interesting area Gerry - it all looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason this post is making me homesick for Maeve Binchy, or a good British rural detective novel. Hmmm. I'll have to see what I can find. I've been stuck in books set in the U.S. for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to join you there for a Guinness... you've just reminded me of yet one more thing that I can't buy here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I come for the pictures, don't you! ☺ Apart from missing Liddy when she goes, I envy her the chance to travel. I loved doing that. My only regret is that I haven't been able to afford to do more of it. Too lovely. Now on my to see list...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a nice place to visit especially going along that canal. Looks like you picked a good day weather wise!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.