Monday, August 8

Two Days in Morecambe.


written by John A. Kind 1907

 Listen to Basil Rathbone take you back...
...even if you were never there!



Everyone delights to spend their summer holiday




Down beside the side of the silvery sea
I'm no exception to the rule
In fact, if I'd my way


I'd reside by the side of the silvery sea.
But when you're just the common or garden Smith or Jones or Brown
At bus'ness up in town
You've got to settle down.
You save your money all the year till summer comes around


Then away you go
To a place you know


Where the cockle shells are found.




Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside



I do like to be beside the sea!



I do like to stroll upon the Prom, Prom, Prom!



Where the brass bands play:
"Tiddely-om-pom-pom!"



So just let me be beside the seaside



I'll be beside myself with glee




And there's lots of girls beside,



I should like to be beside



Beside the seaside!



Beside the sea!





M.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.morecambe!


10 comments:

  1. I love the opening:-
    Listen to Basil Rathbone take you back...
    ...even if you were never there!

    That's my kind of trip! The rest did not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave...so glad that you liked the song! I love the innocence of it all especially after all that has happened this last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Gerry. I'll have you know that I sang this as I furled through the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray Pat! I just kept singing it as I set the post up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brass Bands! Only in England...☺ I love the sea. Something about water soothes the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pirates and donkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gerry,
    __Your photos so well fit Kinds words... just grand! 'The Sand Fish.'
    __And once heard, one can never forget the
    'Rathbone voice.'
    __Back soon. _m

    ReplyDelete
  8. pirates and donkeys, brass bands and sand fish...I think I feel a poem coming on. Thankyou bloglanders for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we live by the shore but rarely go to the beach....sad huh?

    But I need to know it's only down road\
    x
    carole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't that always the way Carole....I lived here for many years before I really appreciated the river and canal so close by!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.