Wednesday, August 24

tomato and chilli jam?!!!

The greenhouse is exploding with tomatoes of all shapes and sizes.
We have painted the kitchen..."we" is royal ...the potter did it!...anyway I had a sort out of recipes in books and scraps of paper and found this jam one that I had experimented with last year.
It goes really well with cheese and cold meats...but the potter had it on his pasta for evening meal and declared it good!
This makes about three jars of jam

2 red onions..finely sliced
1 tsbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
6 garlic cloves..chopped
20grs fresh root ginger finely chopped
3 red chillies seeded and chopped
1 kg tomatoes roughly chopped
500 grs soft brown sugar
200ml white wine vinegar [or white wine]
50ml fish sauce

Fry onions in oil for 15 mins 'til caramelised and soft
Add cumin, ginger, chilli : cook for 1 min.
Stir in tomatoes, sugar, wine and fish sauce.
Simmer, stirring regularly for 45 mins 'til thick.
Spoon in sterilised jars, cool, seal and store in fridge for two months
Or spoon into freezer pots and keep for longer!
.....or not if it all gets eaten!



Guten Appetit











8 comments:

  1. I'm drooling. Sounds wonderful. I love onions, so this is wonderful. I'll just delete the fish sauce. Hopefully, it won't change the flavor too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The home grown tomatoes look delicious, I can only imagine how tasty your jam is...
    {Drool}
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it contains everything that I like, and as it happens I also have all the ingredients. So, as it's raining I'll do a few pots. Thanks.

    Why does your page play merry havoc when I open you up? It jumps around a lot. Is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I can find any jars I am going to try this Gerry - the trouble is that I used my last twelve to pot up yesterday's chutnsy - I shall not make such a large quantity at once again - it was so difficult to manage - but it is nice to have jars to give away to people who call in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pops is right! It was gorgeous on my pasta too! Save some more for me! =) xxx <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice birthday! I've always wanted to go to Minack. I went to see Beggars Opera at the Regents Park open air theatre a few weeks ago and that was great, but the sea must add an extra dimension to the experience.

    Wish you could send some of your tomatoes my way. I'm sick of buying the tasteless ones from the supermarket. We don't have enough room for a greenhouse in our London flat though I am thinking of putting one of those mini ones on the balcony. No doubt any tomato plants would break their way out like Alice in the White Rabbit's house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall most definitely have a go at this. Much thanks for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that I shall have some feed back to find out if anyone else has a good preserve...by the way what's the difference between preserve and conserve? it came up in the times easy yesterday...we nearly got it wrong!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.