Monday, August 8

Mag 77 prompt...loving Hopper!

 Summer Evening   Edward Hopper 1947.



I love the work of this artist, stories galore in his work. So I thought maybe this one might fit the bill!
my response to Mag77
Thanks for the great prompt Willow.


So I turned around and walked away for ever,
Never thinking how the days were going to drag.
Put away the things that we had done together,
For I'd heard that saved up memories can go bad.

And half my heart said, never let him come again,
And part of me said , let him please come soon.
As I sank into the chair where once he held me,
And the whole place whispered, this is Alan's room.

Very gently in it's box I placed my lovely ring,
I would never wear it on my hand again.
God alone knows why it's over now this precious thing,
I may know some day but I must wait 'til then.

And half my heart said, never let him come again,
And part of me said, let him please come soon.
As I sank into the chair where once he held me,
And the whole place whispered, this is Alan's room.


[The happy ending?  yes  ...he came back!]















19 comments:

  1. i am glad for the happy ending...hear a bit og john mayers, half of my heart, in this...but it captures well the feel when things are ovre...or at least we think they are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i love a happy ending!! and hopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Wonderfully written and a happy ending bonus. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great line...And the whole place whispered, this is Alan's room. There's a hint of eeriness in it and in the rhthm of the poem:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. brian...thankyou for your comment..well you could be right albeit it was not consciously done ..but he was my era!
    thankyou words....the flat where we lived was actually a bit eerie..well spotted!
    erin...what we want in life are happy endings..me too...just don't always happen that way...this time lucky or blessed!it was a close run at times...but isn't that life anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so pleased that there was a happy ending Gerry - I became more and more sad as I read this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You saw it as a breakup -- as did I.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So well written. I almost got weepy, until the end. I like happy endings. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. You old softy. Love the Hopper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well as the man said...all's well that end's well
    and yes I'm sussed...a softy at heart. Thankyou all you lovely blogland people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the poem even without the happy ending - but it sure made me smile to hear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. bug! How fantastic! you are well enough to comment! Thankyou get even better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful poem - and I'm very pleased that he came back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for the Happy ending...I could feel her anguish...nicely done:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have to love those happy endings ... an enjoyable Magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the surprise happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "So I turned around and walked away for ever,
    Never thinking how the days were going to drag."

    Wasn't sure how this would end, with the beginning...but glad it was a happy ending. Excellent effort and beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Life doesn't always have happy endings but I'm glad your Mag did - a lovely read,

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.