Wednesday, March 16

Patrick.


St. Patrick


Presumed facts.
Born in the Brit borderlands.
Father in the Roman Army.
Mother Brit.
Grandfather, priest in the early Orthodox Church.
Captured by bandits from Ireland.
Taken to Co.Antrim to be a minder of sheep.
Escaped after years by travelling west and getting a boat back to the Brit borderlands.
Dreamt that Ireland needed him.
Went back of his own free will.
Lived by the Orthodox calendar.
Travelled the land, freeing slaves, especially women.
Lived to his early hundreds.
Buried in St. Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh City.

There never were snakes in Ireland ....but it's a good story....
and we like a good story in Ireland.

I painted this icon from imagination.
He's a western saint, there are no old icons of Patrick.
My father lived in Co. Armagh, so I thought about him as I designed it.
Though he had no beard, and his hair was blond and he looked more like a Viking than a Celt.
But every thing about his demeanour was of Armagh and of his pride in that place.

My favourite Irish song?
Well it has to be Van Morrison singing ...

Belt it out Van!

9 comments:

  1. Funnily enough G the snake Q came up in tonight's Pub Quiz! John X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your icon! And that rendition of Be Thou My Vision was great - it's one of my very favorite hymns. I think that it was the 2nd one I learned to play on the piano way back in the day (After Amazing Grace).

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy St Patricks day! I won't be wearing a hat today but if I did there would be some green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. john...I hope you got it right!

    Thanks Bug for the lovely comment.We regularly sang this in assembly at school.I love the rolling words!

    Natasha...I can give you a hat or two if you want!! I have a few spare!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy St Patrick's Day to you too - love the icon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Gerry,
    Happy St Patrick's Day!!!

    a big hug,
    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  7. my grandma's parents were from Antrim. my grandma and her sister were both born on St. Patrick's day after their mother took castor oil. ick. love the painting! sorry you are feeling poorly.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely picture Gerry. Not so sure about the source about his burial though as most historians say it his grave is at Down Cathedral, Downpatrick but I know from the St Patricks Centre that it was his wish to die in Armagh as it was his favourite place but he died in Saul just outside DownPatrick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leaves and blooms you are right...as soon as I'd posted I started to doubt my facts. So thankyou for that.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.