Sunday, December 19

Advent

The Fourth Sunday in Advent.


There is a prehistoric site in Co. Meath in the heartland of Ireland
called Newgrange
It is said to be 5000 years old, constructed even before Stonehenge.
From the 19th of December until the 24th is the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere.
Before oil lamps, before gas lamps and before electric lighting,
People were worried that the light would not return.
So the building of Newgrange was constructed so carefully that for 17 minutes each day of the solstice,
the sun, or the light shone into the Newgrange.
That was their hope.




so if all that we have is hope...
There is no need to be ashamed.


7 comments:

  1. Your mantlepiece looks so cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the great images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thankyou 120 socks! I try to do it each year with some different pics each time. Keeps my brain working!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Gerry. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home looks so warm and inviting; it makes me wish I lived down the road!
    My ancestors on my father's side came from Glassdrumman in Northern Ireland and my dad was born in Belfast. I have a keen affinity for "the old country".
    I've seen your face here and there on the blogs and now I'm pleased that Socks has introduced us properly. I would welcome a visit to my blog, Poetikat's Invisible Keepsakes whenever you have the opportunity.

    Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas from Canada!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kat...how lovely of you to comment on my post. Well with such a grand heritage as you have...what else could I expect but sweet words!
    Thankyou, and I will now pop over to your site and add another wee word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and so are those amazing letters in the window.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.