Sunday, November 28

The Poetry Bus

The Poetry Bus contribution.

I've been mulling over the suggestions this week. This thing about arguing with God...I do it most days! But then I agree with him most days also, it depends on the subject or the person etc.
So I  want to combine the first about arguing with God and the third about the bare trees. Because the trees don't stay bare for ever, but like us they need a little snooze to get their energies back!

This is a poem taken from the book ,The Song Of Songs .


The Garden

Once I had a garden in the summer.
Sun and rain caressed it soft and warm.
People came to wonder at the beauty.
Praised the gardener tending it each day.


 And the south wind blew upon my garden so fair.
And the scent of the spices flowed out.


Once I had a garden in the autumn.
Golden was the colour all around.
Yet the very beauty was deceptive.
For the gardener's fire soon had it burned.

And the north wind blew upon my garden so fair.
And the scent of the spices flowed out.


Winter time descended on my garden.
Tightly bound the beauty of the flowers.
Still and grey and lonely in the bareness.
Had the faithful gardener gone away?


And the north wind blew upon my garden so fair.
And the scent of the spices flowed out.


Once I had a garden in the spring time.
Innocense portrayed in every part.
For the gardener never could forsake it.
And I confess the garden is my heart.


And the south wind blew upon my garden so fair.
And the scent of the spices flowed out.

20 comments:

  1. The image of garden in winter is breathtaking. I love the circular motion of this poem ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gerry

    That's a lovely poem and such great photos to go along with it.

    Our trees were bare until the snow arrived. Have you any snow yet - we had thunder and lightning with our blizzards. It will be an Advent Sunday I'll never ever forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This describes my garden too. I enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the way you approached this subject matter, - 'tightly bound the beauty of the flowers' is my favourite line - but lots of beautiful ones all the way through it. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The repeated refrain through the seasons certainly adds something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Helen...I think that maybe life is a bit of a circle too!
    Leaves and blooms...how are you getting on with this fierce weather? We had our first bit of snow today.
    Enchanted oak...I've got to stop taking garden photos, but they come in very handy when I want to do a bit of tarting up!
    120 socks...how good of you to pop over to the post. also thanks for your encouragement about the words.
    lucy...I wasn't sure about the placement of the refrains, thought that maybe they should just be at the bottom of each verse? I might change it sometime. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I like the scent of spices line - that's one of the things I love most about our garden. This helps me remember that winter's part of a CYCLE, not the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the seasons of the heart are presented here! Lovely photos, as well. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cyclical form works very well with the subject matter and you chose your repeating two end lines very well. Like a Dylan lullaby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one lovely post. I agree with 120 socks
    2tightly bound the beauty of the flowers2 is my favourite line, too. But the post is beauty from the top and all the way down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And the circle of life continues...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jinksy ...you are so right. Life continues in a circular motion. But I think a bit like being on a helter-skelter, we may come to the same view from time to time, but the level is changed. So our understanding moves as well. It would be good to think that it too was on a deeper level....but I'm not so idealistic nowadays!!!I hope more realistic!
    Dave, I don't know about your area, but here the flowers are as tightly bound as they ever have been in a November, that I can remember!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like the garden analogy revealed in the punchline, and the repetition, and the cyclical nature of the poem reflected in nature itself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Total......thankyou for your comment.i hear it's fairly white across the water!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good calendar-poen and picture combination!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last line is for me the exclamation point...
    cause all through the poem I thought,"What? What? But SHE is the gardener! Does she expect God to do it for her?" so, I'm very happy with your last line:) (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always loved this one, you should embed the song on your page and let people hear you singing it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Natasha...I don't have a clue how to do that. Will have to get my daughter to sit with me and show me how!!!
    Jeannette...I'm so glad that you liked the last line. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Gerry
    Was on your website to look at Alan's latest work,
    as I am try to inspire my design students with the theme Marine Life - and that got engrossed in your blog love the book of poems - going to keep coming back here to see all those fab images of your garden and the Potters House - is been far to long since I last saw you and your God Son Alex turned 17 last month - how time flies - we are still in Hong Kong but Dean is at UWIC studying Primary / Early education :)
    Take care and say hi to the Family. Lots of Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.