Friday, September 3

Nuts to you!

We were sitting up the field having a lovely afternoon cup of tea and a wee bit of cake, Alan's best chocolate, when we noticed at our feet a collection of empty hazel nut cases! Nooooo! This is the first year that we have had any good harvest on the hazel tree. There are three in the hedges that surround us and this one where we have a seat is the most mature. We had great excitment a few weeks earlier when we realised that there would be a nut harvest this year. It seems that the family of squirrels thought so to! So no sooner seen than down came the branches and we gathered the lot. Well I say the lot, I'm sure that the squirrels will find that we have missed some and anyway there are two more trees that they can feast on. It's not as if there aren't two chestnut trees available you squirrels so go bark at yourselves somewhere other that our best hazel nut tree!

5 comments:

  1. They wouldn't have remembered where they buried them, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol We have that trouble with the fruit; sharing with God's other creatures! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the moment they are barking a lot...I'm not sure if they are mad at us for taking the nuts off the best tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just been writing a post for F & F about hazel nuts! You're supposed to go a'nutting on the 14 Sept - but I reckon that's a bit late - them pesky squirrels will have found them by then..anyway funny we were both thinking about the same thing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz , I'll be looking forward to that post as I love both the recipes and the stories around the feasts. I'm not actually a grey squirrel hater as it's lovely in a way to have any wild life around. We are surrounded by 16 neighbours. Many of them put down poison for I suppose urban rats but of course the hedgehogs also get poisoned by it! Live and let live.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.