Tuesday, September 28

Barbara Hepworth's Garden.

Alan and I met while we were both in the Lancaster area. He was at St. Martin's teacher training college taking art as the main subject.
The college was only a couple of years into it's life and as he said himself, "they were taking anyone!" Well not quite true as the principal, had made a decision to accept people on the basis of their quirkiness rather than their amazing intellect!
He was rather wonderfully quirky himself. At the top of the driveway was a Barbara Hepworth sculpture..one of her strung angels. The story goes that he went to her studio and asked had she anything that he could reasonably purchase for the college. Then packed off his two art tutors to Cornwall to collect it.
What a man!
 So when we had the opportunity this summer to visit the garden and studio in St. Ives we went.

Nothing could really have prepared us for how we would feel about the garden.
We both love gardens anyhow but sense of care was quite overwhelming. Alan was in his element!

                                      In a dream

The day was perfect, there were few people in the space and we just wandered in amongst the plants and sculptures along the paths.
I was surprised at how small the garden was, yet how much there was to take in.



One of my favourites, it looks like a scapula or back wing bone.







One of the best bits is seeing how the artist worked in the studio space available. And noticing the tools and acoutrements needed to produce such work.



I love the play on this photo, the black fuzzy dot is actually a garden spider in the middle of it's web! who knows where our influences ans inspirations come from in art or poetry. They are all around us.

This principal, Mr. Hugh Pollard, did another deal for his college...he heard that John Bratby's "Crucifixion" which had been intended for some church, was going cheap as they had refused to take it. so there it hung in the chapel at the college!
A great start for a budding artist to see these pieces of English art every day . 

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see this, I love what I've seen of Barbera Hepworth's work - we have a large one at the Ashmolean and it is so hard not to reach out and stroke it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that tour Gerry - it is one of the places I have always wanted to visit. Interesting that it is quite small - certainly it does not detract from the beauty of those sculptures - in fact I think it concentrates the mind beautifully. I really enjoyed the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thankyou Weaver...we would certainly go back again if the chance arose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the wonderful thing about the garden is that you can stroke them! Oh and pg I adore those two little creatures on your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a place to return to Ember if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the first sculpture - awesome shape! Came from Weaver's blog and saw you your Dutch "Goed zo!" I am Dutch but have lived for 30+ years in Los Angeles...and I do art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannette, thankyou for popping over to have a look at my post. I have had so many friends either living in Holland or that I'm close to in England, and I just love to pick up a word here and there. However that's not always easy with the Dutch as their English is often better than my own....being a poor Irish woman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. John...I don't think that I know what that is remind me please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yorkshire Sculpture Park. It's a FAB day out; I once reviewed it for a travel guide.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All those shapes made my hands want to reach out to them - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well John I went through all the things that YSP could have been....stupid! Yes we went quite a few years ago and really loved it . I've heard that it's better than ever now. Alan was always a follower of Henry Moore so it's great when you see them there sitting on the hill. Thankyou for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you manage to see the wonderful Henry Moore exhibition at the Tate this year? Some great films were on show that gave you a real sense of how he approached his work

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb post. Thank you so much for it, you bring it - and her work - to life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Colleen...I didn't see the show this year, but the very first one that Alan and I went to in the 60's was Henry Moore at the Tate. We were both blown away by the sculptures. Nowadays he seems to get quite a bit of negative criticism. We listened to the BBC2 late night arts programme when the exhibition was on and were astounded at the negativity. I think people forget what a breakthrough it was when first his work appeared along with Barbara Hepworth.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.