Monday, August 2

the Labyrinth

We have a labyrinth cut into the grass in the back field. We've had it for a few years now and each summer when the reception class comes to the Potters House they walk the course. Well actually some of them jump over the lines and ignore the path altogether. I like that . That children don't always do what is there for them, but make up their own ways of getting to the centre. Today I walked the labyrinth, and thought about so much that is going on in our family, both small and extended. You can't get lost in a labyrinth. You just start at the opening and follow the path back and forth until you come to the centre. It's not like a maze where you have to make decisions. So because of that there is no pressure on the way and you can take time to think as you turn north, south, east and west always getting closer to the centre. I often find myself very emotional as I walk it. And it's an odd thing that there is a real sense of arriving when you reach the centre. It makes you stop and consider life. It's like a closed quiet room where you are safe but alone. I talk to God in this place of safety and peace. Then you wind your way out again passing all the little things in the grass that you noticed on the way in. But now see them from a different perspective. Hopefully with a calmer state of mind.
It's nothing really, just a pattern in the grass. But I like pattern, and the minutae in the dividing lines of  some tiny wild flowers catch the mind and make you stop and observe for that little bit longer than you thought you might.
There is lots of information on this site if you are interested. The first labyrinth in a cathedral was in Chartre,  famous for being in Dan Brown's book The Da Vinci Code. But that is not the earliest, not by a long chalk!
There are lots of maize mazes and I assume also labyrinths to find around the country.Most of them are wonderfully complicated and exciting.  Ours is very simple and a bit overgrown at the moment. I expect one day it will have to go to make way for  a volley ball court like the one that was there when my two were young. But 'til then I'll walk it from time to time and slow down the pace of my life  and realise that ...all will be well and all will be well and all manner of things will be well. [St. Julian of Norwich].

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting blog you have. I'm fascinated by your maze. Thanks for stopping by WM today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Willow for your message.I love the look of your Willow Manor.After my own heart!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.