Tuesday, July 6

Workshops at the Potters House.

Two workshops this week, Friday and Monday. Friday was the potters with Alan and Monday the painters with me. Fun people and lots of creativity. The food is always a big part of the day. Now I know that you're surprised at that! So little reference to food in my blogs! Ha!  This is about the painters, as I'm in the kitchen for the potters' day slaving over a hot stove as the saying goes and no time to take photos of them either eating or working. The day starts like all good days with  coffee and biscuits, and then we are revved up and raring to go.
       
The theme was synaesthesia, a theory that we can be influenced in art by music, colours, smell and even taste. The artists Kandinsky,  Klee, van Gogh and the two  Delauneys  are believed to work to this theory. So our day started with a look at some of these artists.  

     

                                                      

Then the morning was taken up with mark making and colour marking to various music genre, starting with the pianist Andrew Wilde playing Haydn, Grieg and Chopin. But Queen, Muddy Waters, Michael Buble, Madeleine Peyroux and Charlie Parker all got a hearing. It was good to see how different rhythms and styles influenced the results.


Lunch comes as a welcome break.




In the afternoon session each one takes a reference from the morning's experiments. And with some input from a chosen artist, such as Mondrian, works up those ideas.

    
End of the day as it started with a cup of tea and chocolate cake and a look at all that was accomplished.
And not only that but the sun shone. What could be better.

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a brilliant creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks just like the most fun ! What a great post, thanks much, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative hub of industry and I can see some of your lovely work in the studio background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 micheal buble`! xxx xxx xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and a fantastic spread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting day! Sounds such fun :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gerry, thanks for visiting my blog. Now that I have paid a return visit I shall definitely put you on my blog list - we are not all that far apart are we?
    i love day courses and would love to do a painting one although I am very bad at drawing. I once organised a two day drawing class with Peter Hibbard, an artist who used to live nearby but now lives in France. Because I had organised it I felt duty bound to go - and I could not draw for toffee. I was no better at the end of the two days! Since then I have done City and Guilds in Design and I must say I am slightly better but now I feel my weakness is in the painting! Ah well - one can dream.
    Do pop over and visit again - and do give the Poetry Bus a try - anything goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thankyou for your kind messages every one. I think Severus that the best work was actually inspired by Madeleine Peyroux's song..."damn the circumstances".. but we all enjoyed Michael Buble.
    It's good to know that I can hop on the poetry bus now . Thankyou for the information, the weaver of grass.
    I always think that the studio looks better in photos than real life, although I would'nt want it to look to neat, people would'nt think it was ours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buble!!!... can't stand him - Sorry I just can't get it - he looks nice (I presume, I'm straight so difficult to judge but even my 14 year old daughter wobbles about him) but I just cannot detect any passion or soul in his singing. It's in tune, it is in time but where is the heart? He could sing the telephone directory in the same way. Sorry rant over.... great creative day looks like

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kandinsky, Klee & Michael Buble! Oh my! Sorry, m'dear but too gross for words. Now Van Gogh I like! ☺ Good thing we're all different. I used to do music to paint to with Ditz because even to this day her two favourite things are ~ Art & Music! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come on now don't bash the Buble! The only other man who can make me feel that way is Gary Barlowe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a lot of emotion I have stirred up!! I like it !Anyone in favour of Madeleine? or is she out the window too? We also painted to Muddy Waters and Peggy lee and Leonard Cohen and lots of clasical stuff. thanks everyone Love it .G.

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way ...noone interested in old Baudelaire? I love his thoughts and the ways he put them together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't think anyone listened to Leonard Cohen besides me! And Muddy Waters works for me too. I'm an old hippie at heart. I should point my Liddy Klee & Kadinsky's way. I have a feeling she's like them.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.