Friday, May 21

Penketh Ramblings.



I've lived in this area, all be it in three different houses for nearly 40 years, and I'm ashamed to say that I've moaned a lot about the fact that I wasn't near the sea or in the country or whatever. I wanted to be in an edgy place full of elemental beauty with tons of historical backround to it. So shallow! Well I discovered a while ago that the place name,"Penketh", is the joining of a couple of old english words. Pen meaning edge and Keth meaning woods. Correct me if any one knows better please! There was a lot of knocking down went on over those 40 years. Bulldozing away old farms and local Manor Houses, very sad. But recently the large houses nearby have been saved and beautifully renovated and I think that maybe there is a new feeling of pride coming. So because of this I'm going to put up a blog of the area that I live in and surprise myself and hopefully others at how good it all is, if you only look for it! Shakespeare knew  a thing or two about this place when he wrote about Friar Penketh and his part in the conspiracy to over throw the English throne. So history.

In 1868 the Heath was broken up. Some was given for commercial use, some for a recreation ground and we are lucky enough to have almost an acre of it for our garden and field. but the rest was given over for the place where I want to start this new series. The dead centre of Penketh! Our beautiful ancient cemetery.

I'm sure that the bluebells that thrive in it are the original flowers from the ancient Heath.


It's a place of great peace and beauty.

And I'm glad that it has been maintained in the way that it has, for it's a paradise for birds and squirrels.
So there it is, and if you are at all interested in knowing any more history of this place, you can find the information at www.penketh.com/hist.html 

7 comments:

  1. Gerry: my grasp on old English is purely Arthurian so my understanding of *pen* has always been *head* as in Pendragon = dragon's head. That would make Penketh wood heads, or head of the wood. Now somebody who is actually a linguist needs to step up to the mark. ☺

    I love your cemetry! A stroll there would make my day ~ but then I have a thing for the dead centre of towns! ☺ The colours are just amazing ~ & the light! *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ganeida, thankyou for your message. Well I had another look at some of the old documents and I think that pen could mean both edge or end, and as our heads are at the end of our bodies I suppose that is why Pendragon is as it is. What fun to be at opposite ends of this lovely earth and writing about old english!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My degree was in English lit & my true love is for the Celts ~ hence I have some rather peculiar bits of information rolling round in my brain. I know what both a lyke & fleet are! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. what are they? now I'm facinated!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lyke = corpse as in The Lyke Wake Dirge. Fleet, from the same poem, is the floor of a house. lol Don't tell me you have my disease for unusual words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gerry: I can't find a search window. Are you able to link me to your ramblings on The Thin Place? I was serious about wanting to read what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.