Tuesday, May 18

Garden Goodies.



I'm a bit of a leave-it-where-it-is gardener, especially with things that seed themselves. Along with every thing else this year, the dandelions have put on a super show. It must have been the hard winter and they must be afraid that if they don't produce enough seed this year they will die out! Ha! But what with the recipe page in the papers  suggesting dandelion flower fritters, I thought how about some cordial. I always make elderflower cordial so I attacked this in the same way.
                                    First, find your dandelions.

In the cracks in the paving.

Hiding under the forgetmenots.

Snuggling up to the tulips.

Collect enough to put in a pan with some cold water.
Bring the water up to the boil and turn off the heat.
Leave in the pan until the water has cooled.
The water will have taken on a golden tint.
Add a measure of sugar to the pan [ I tend to pour until there is  a saturated mixture!].
Put back on the heat and stir until the sugar has melted.
Squeeze a lemon into the mixture.
When cool bottle and store in the fridge.
This cordial is yummy with sparkling water and a squeeze of lemon, or as the sweet base of a summer smoothie.
Enjoy.


                                      

2 comments:

  1. OK, I may actually try this. I've eaten dandelions in salad & like their sharp peppery taste so a sweet version should be good. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a go, Ganeida, my herb book says,"the whole plantis a valuable nutritive alterative, cleansing the blood and tissues". ...and it tastes good too!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.