Saturday, March 13

A walk in the woods

The coast is my all time favorite walking place. I love the sounds of tide and seabirds. I love the treasures that I am able to collect there. Coloured shells, sea washed glass,pieces of fishing boat rope and whitened wood ready to turn into ghostly sculptures. It's an elemental place and as the celts say, spiritually a thin place. But sometimes another setting catches you unawares.
Up behind the town of Holywood in County Down, in the Craigantlet hills, is an ancient wood. I visited in autumn some time ago with my sister and her faithful dog Eddy. The wood is not far from the home where C.S.Lewis was born. The day was mild and as the afternoon wore on and the sun sank lower the whole wood took on a magic aura. It made me think of Tolkien and Lewis and the influences on our lives that go so deep, we often don't even realise where they come from.




C.S.Lewis once said that he believed that the animals were given to us to make us feel happy. Eddy had that gift. We walked down a long shaded pathway and I thought as well of one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost, "The road less travelled".

I haven't really got to grips with this whole blogging thing, but I think it's just another of those roads I have to travel! So here's hoping that the next doesn't take me another three days!















9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the paintings and the words, they fit perfectly together.Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll get the hang of it soon! And Pops if you're going to comment on this maybe you should take another leap into technolgy and make your own profile?
    xxx <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Lovely blog great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are off to a brilliant start!!!
    Gorgeous art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Tolkien & Lewis knew all about *thin places* So does Garner. If you haven't read *The Owl service* you really must. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgive me for intruding:

    At first I didn't think I liked these pictures, but after a few hours I found they won't leave me alone.

    the earth
    the ground
    so robust
    so full of vim and vigour

    the sky
    half-hidden by tree tops
    ethereal
    half-hearted

    connections
    trunks
    in-your-face
    strengh tapering
    from the ground up

    promise translated
    into clouds of hope

    ==

    stairway to nowhere
    on the ground
    deep red needles
    drenched with the blood
    of aeons of memory
    life's solids
    trodden on by nature herself

    ghosts of the past
    mummified uprights
    no longer able
    to ramble and roam
    now merely connecting
    the grim with the green
    a conduit between
    what can no longer be seen













    ReplyDelete
  8. aprille has left a new comment on your post "A walk in the woods":

    Forgive me for intruding:

    At first I didn't think I liked these pictures, but after a few hours I found they won't leave me alone.

    the earth
    the ground
    so robust
    so full of vim and vigour

    the sky
    half-hidden by tree tops
    ethereal
    half-hearted

    connections
    trunks
    in-your-face
    strengh tapering
    from the ground up

    promise translated
    into clouds of hope

    ==

    stairway to nowhere
    on the ground
    deep red needles
    drenched with the blood
    of aeons of memory
    life's solids
    trodden on by nature herself

    ghosts of the past
    mummified uprights
    no longer able
    to ramble and roam
    now merely connecting
    the grim with the green
    a conduit between
    what can no longer be seen



    ReplyDelete

I'm always glad to receive a comment so a big thankyou to all those who leave one.